What is Green IT?
Green IT is computing technology that is environmentally responsible. Green IT must be considered holistically to be effective and ensure your company is prepared for the challenges associated with climate change.
For example, are you aware of the Power Usage Effectiveness factor (PUE) of your IT System? Do you know how to reduce your Carbon Usage Effectiveness factor (CUE) down to zero? And what does your company do beyond PUE and CUE?
- Today, the ICT-sector is responsible for an estimated 1.8%-3.9% of global greenhouse gas emissions — likely greater than the aviation sector, which contributes about 2% of global emissions. The range of estimates accounts for different approaches to quantifying environmental impact, including emissions from the full life cycle and supply chain of IT tools, for example. Thus, achieving green IT requires companies to: (1) Setup the entire life cycle of IT in an environmentally friendly and resource efficient manner; (2) Manage substances associated with ICT, which may be toxic, hazardous, precious or scarce, or possibly challenging to get recycled; and (3) Ensure energy efficiency and closed loop use of equipment and hardware systems; including the applied power, logistic, disposal and recycling.
- Green IT is known for its broader, economy-wide energy saving potential and its ability to effect rapid and profound change across every facet of government, business and private life.
- We can help to identify and qualify a set of ambitious measures focusing on what can be achieved for the complete life cycle in near-, mid- and long-term both by IT sector (first-order effects), its supply chain and by fully exploiting the enabling capacity of IT (second order effects) in all sectors of society and economy.
- Green IT comprises a wide spectrum of different companies, like hardware manufacturers, telecommunication companies, internet providers and suppliers of logistics (server rooms, cooling and others).
Details of Benefits
- Assessing and displaying your environmental profile, finding potentials, weak points and priority fields of action, enhancing energy efficiency.
- Assessing the environmental profile of standard technology as well as high technology in all major fields like hardware, services or infrastructure.
- One-stop services for better environmental performance and more sustainability of your products, services and company.
- Managing and improving your environmental performance with key performance indicators (KPI).
- Improving internal and external environmental communication with reliable information.
Green IT with Sphera
- Identify – weak points and prioritize actions
- Scale – to cover entire infrastructures
- Key – performance indicators to identify and improve performance
- Differentiate – against competitors
- Communicate – more effectively internally and externally